Marriage is more than a contract; it is more than a mutual agreement between a man and a woman, and it is more then a uniting of two people who “complete one another.” Marriage is in God’s plan! “Sacred Scripture begins with the creation of man and woman in the image and likeness of God and concludes with a vision of “the wedding-feast of the Lamb.”
Scripture speaks throughout of marriage and its “mystery,” its institution and the meaning God has given it, its origin and its end, its various realizations throughout the history of salvation, the difficulties arising from sin and its renewal “in the Lord’ in the New Covenant of Christ and the Church.” (Catechism 1602)
Marriage Preparation is all about unpacking this special sacrament of God’s love, and therefore, requires a just and thorough preparation. Because of its sacred character, the Bishop has asked that the minimal period for marriage preparation be extended from 6 months to 9 months to provide adequate time for what will be a lifetime commitment. A lifetime investment is well worth a few months of preparation.
1. Meet with the St. Bernadette marriage preparation coordinator.
2. Allow for extra time if an annulment is required. Please note that any annulment must be submitted and approved prior to scheduling the wedding date.
4. Time for the “FOCCUS Results” and the review.
5. Sign-up and attend the complete Natural Family Planning Course (plan extra time because this is more than a one night seminar).
6. Attend the Diocesan Marriage Life Skills Training or Engaged Encounter Weekend. (We highly recommend the Diocesan Marriage Preparation Weekend.)
7. Attend the day long Diocesan God’s Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage course.
8. Contact the Parish Wedding Coordinator to arrange for a wedding ceremony.
9. Contact the Parish Musician to arrange for music at the ceremony.
10. Contact the Celebrant and begin to plan the ceremony.
11. Don’t forget the Marriage License from the state. Without it, the priest/deacon will not be able to witness the wedding.
12. Enjoy the wedding! Live a life filled with God’s love and abundant blessing.